Toro Premier Debates - Round Seven // ends sunday-midnight

Here you can find the various laws and government documents.
bigpapa671
MC name: FloopTroop

Re: Toro Premier Debates - Round Seven // ends sunday-midnig

Heather would nod "Yes Mister Keld you are very right, Toro is a giant melting pot" she smiles "But unfortunately we somehow haven't allowed that to extrapolate to our foreign policy. The people are culturally diverse but the region of Toro as a sovereign entity needs to raise relations with other regions because it has many benefits. Unfortunately just culture diversity does no good for the economy. I'm up here because I want to the government to politically reflect how diverse the culture of Toro is.In fact I thank you for coming up here, and proving the point I want to make. If we are a region made up of hundreds of ethnicities, and cultures why is our government so closed up to other nations? Were I to become Premier I would work day in, and day out with the Foreign Minister to make sure that Toro's foreign policy is just as culturally diverse as its people."

Heather would laugh slightly "That's a question I was expecting. I'm running for Premier because there are things that I must do as Premier before I can be an effective foreign minister. Right now Toro doesn't have all the proper tools for a foreign minister to be truly effective. I need to act as chief executive to lay down the tracks required for the train that is foreign policy to be able to move forward. More over I also want to ensure that Toro's environment is protected, and that the powers of the government are clearly written out in a constitution so that they can not be abused. There is a lot I would do in my four years as Premier that only the Premier can do."
Portalgunblaze
MC name: QuartzPT

Jade let out a sigh and turned to Heather, "The foreign minister doesn't have the tools to be truly effective? Toro doesn't have good bonds with other region? Really now? How did you come to those conclusions, if I may ask? Did you talk to the previous foreign minister? Or Miss Penn, the next foreign minister?" She questioned.
bigpapa671

Heather would look straight back to Jade "I know because I've paid attention to our politics since I was a young girl. I know that we don't have relations like other regions do because its been 10 years since the last time a foreign dignitary came to Toro for diplomatic reasons, because it's been over 20 years since a Toran elected official has visited an other region for diplomatic reasons. Because unlike every other nation in the world we don't have a single embassy in our entire region. Because we don't have any public treaties, or declarations of friendship. Toro's foreign policy is clearly lacking when compared to the rest of the modern world."
ShadexTheDark
MC name: ShadexTheDark

Shiv quite abrubtly stands up again, a soft little smirk on his face. "With no offence to ya Heather but..Do you need some help getting off that rapidash before you get burned? You're so high up on that horse of yours you might need a ladder. He huffs a little, putting his hands in his pockets again as he quite rudely speaks up. "I get that ya wanna make yourself look good for the votes and all, but now you're just makin' the Foreign minister look bad! Not to mention that insult to Kiori's face a bit ago. Stick to the things ya 'do' do not the things others don't will ya? Quite angry, he glares.
^(^,.,^)>

bigpapa671

"Mister Warden" Heather looks out to shiv "I am explaining what I would do. As I said a few moments ago the Forgien minister has not had the tools to do what he needs to do. I will give him those tools as Premier. I am mot insulting the forgien minister Mister Warden instead I made a point, my opponent asked me to prove that point and so I provided evidence to prove it.This election isn't about making people look good or bad. It's about what's best for Toro" Heather takes a deep breath "If I am impassionate, and perhaps heated in my choice of words it is only because I love this nation and I am doing everything in my power to help it"
ShadexTheDark

"Tauros-Dung." Shiv raises one foot up on a chair and raises his hand up, pointing at heather. The chain of his half-unlocked cuffs rattling. He totally ignores the cop tugging him down a little. "Tryin' to slide it off like 'passion' is not somethin' ya should do! If ya think stuff din't happen ya should've spoken up to Edgar, if ya 'cared that much'. You're just insulting 'him' now and he's one of my best buds! He swings his hand around to point at his chest with his thumb "And the name's SHIV. Not 'Mr. Warden'." He rests his entire front body on his knee, which is resting on the seat now as he quite literally shouts up at the stage, obviously angry by now because of all the insults towards his friends. Even if this is likely not Heather's intention at all. "That's my dad! Ya keep sayin' all these things, where's the proof huh? Last time I checked we donated a whole bunch of money to a country in need. And got help from 'other countries' when Toro was hit with a tidal wave. And you're here sayin' the Foreign Minister din't have the tools!? What stuff are ya even basin' this off, last year's newspaper?
^(^,.,^)>

bigpapa671

"I'm basing it off of the fact that we don't have embassies in our nation. That we never have any ambassadors in Toro while every other nation in the world does." Heather shakes her head "It's been years since we donated money and more over we shouldn't only deal with other nations when there's a damn emergency. That's not healthy, what we need to form is relationships that are constant, and consistent. Donations in emergency times are not forgien policy they're just charity." Heather shakes her head "Shiv, as for my self insulting your best bud Edgar. I'm not, Premier Penn,and I are both mature adults, we understand that politics and disagreement are not personal attacks. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. I'm not here insulting Edgar Penn the father of two, and inspiration to a generation of Toro's youth. I'm here criticising Premier Penn for his two terms in office because I disagree with how he went about doing things. If you're going to misconstrued political dissent as personal attacks then you don't belong at a political debate. Because that's exactly what this is, a debate in which people disagree with each other"
Sn0wfa11
MC name: Sn0wfa11

( SORRY I'VE BEEN AT A TOURNAMENT AND STILL AM SO FORGIVE LATE REPLIES TO TIDE BEING INVOKED

which is also why this is lacking in physical description and nice formatting, for which I apologize! )

Tide stands and speaks calmly and clearly, hands folded behind his back. “With respect, I’d like to say a few words given my performance has been mentioned. Yes, Ms. Nikitas is entirely correct in noting we lack stated alliances. We lack embassies. We lack non-universal deals, though I’ve ensured, critically, that we do universally trade with virtually everyone. This is not a failure. It is intentional. Diplomatic entanglement presents only risk to a nation like Toro. Any ‘declaration of friendship’ is necessarily a declaration of enmity to other countries. We cooperate, calmly, and distantly. Nothing more. This is because the most important job of the foreign minister is not some kind of global chess game. I am well aware that the citizens of Toro care about themselves and their neighbors more than conquest and plunder. We win the game then by choosing not to play it. Toro’s citizens care about Toro, not imperialism.”

He clears his throat. “This may be difficult for Ms. Nikitas to understand, as a native Unovan, but imposing power on other countries is unnecessary and dangerous. We are happy and prosperous, not stagnating. The term ‘evolution’ that she seems so fond of appears only to mean ‘change that I would like’. I for one reject Ms. Nikitas’s changes, for the simple reason that Toro is now a safe, happy, stable place. We need no glory. Her foreign policy is narrow minded and dangerous, not to mention a complete attempt to usurp separation of powers. As evidenced by the fact that this is coming up at this debate, and that she seems to have so many proposals far beyond executive authority.”

“Finally I do not believe we need an army. Our nation is so small that quite frankly we rely on diplomatic status quo incentives, which you’ll recall I’ve previously spoken about, and our internal strength, to deter invasion. We are a tiny island with a tiny population. No army we could produce would protect us sufficiently, which is why we've relied so heavily on diplomacy and isolation. I am sorry Ms. Nikitas has not seen me doing my job, but given that my career has explicitly been concerned with preventing war, not causing it, I can see why it's escaped her notice. An army would be a waste of funds and a waste of lives, at best useless and at worst a tool for oppression abroad or whatever adventures Ms. Nikitas thinks, wrongly, Toro should participate in. I hope my successor will have the foresight to prevent her from doing this.

“The ‘tools’ that Ms. Nikitas suggested I lack are not tools I wanted or needed. As Foreign Minister I intentionally avoided them so as to protect our nation. As Mr. Warden has mentioned, we’ve still done plenty, helping other nations and protecting peace. That is all I believe we should do, and I am disturbed that anyone would prioritize some kind of valor or intervention over peaceful cooperation and friendship. Yes, in an isolated capacity.”

He sets his jaw. “Quite simply I believe that peace is all that matters abroad so long as Toro is happy and healthy at home. We are. That is what I value, not ambassador visits, and not pageantry. Peace. Keeping us unentangled from dangerous alliances has not been laziness- that has been my life’s work. To keep my family, my friends, and the home that took me in when I had nothing, safe. Not great or powerful. Not evolved. Safe."
bigpapa671

((okay so I'm not at home right now but this is the kind of thing I'd need to be at my laptop for so I'd like to ask we pause for a bit so I can get a good response in
ShadexTheDark

Shiv waves his finger a little at Tide. "Yeah..Uh..What he said." By lack of a clever retort, and the fact that he dozed off halfway through the two's lectures, he sits back down.
^(^,.,^)>

Return to “Regional Government Archives”