NRGuy's Whitelist Application

NRGuy
MC name: NRGuy

NRGuy's Whitelist Application

-Player Questions-
Minecraft Username: NRGuy
Where did you hear about us: (If it was from a friend it helps to say which one)
I found you after doing some research on Google several years ago. There was a link to Reddit asking about decent Pixelmon roleplay servers and this was one of the first ones mentioned. I recently remembered this server and now I finally have the motivation to make an application.

Tell us a little about yourself:
For the last 5-ish years of my life, I have loved playing games and roleplaying with my friends on Discord. I have wanted to submit an application many times, (I may have even done so at one point, I don’t recall) but for one reason or another I have just not gone through with it. I have a character that I had made for a Pokemon world, but I have never been able to fit them into this world. Recently I came up with an alternative character that I believe is a much better fit and could help create some interesting stories on the server. (I even left some details open for possible future developments)

-Roleplay Questions-
[ Please use your own words. ]
What is roleplaying?
Roleplaying is where a person takes on a “role” and “plays” that role within the world provided. When one roleplays, they are given the opportunity to become their character. It allows a person to become someone else entirely if they so wish. However, roleplaying can be guided if there is a need for it. Sometimes, completely unguided roleplay can cause issues with character development and continuity.

What is meta-gaming?
Sometimes within roleplaying communities, a person can sometimes learn roleplaying information out-of-character. Meta-gaming is using that information in-character despite your character never learning it through natural roleplay means. This can cause major continuity issues and can upset other members of the roleplay.

What is power-gaming?
Power-gaming is when a player attempts to maximize their gaming capabilities to become the most powerful that they can possibly be within the space (AKA minmaxing). While this may be fine in some communities, it is commonly frowned upon in roleplaying groups. It can hurt the roleplay as a canonically powerful character could end up losing to a minmaxed character who is supposed to be weak. In terms of Pixelmon and this server, it not only applies to the stats and abilities of the player’s Pokemon, but it also applies to the narrative as well in that a person cannot force other people to follow their own personal narrative if they don’t want to go with it. (EDIT) To add to this, power-gaming means to force actions upon other players and their characters in a way that prevents them from roleplaying. This can mean forcing another character to do something without the player's consent, ignoring the actions of another character, or overshadowing their responses with your own which makes them unable to respond.

What is retroactive continuity?
Retconning is the altering of already established lore, story, and/or character development/details. While minor retcons may be acceptable (i.e. a character disliking a certain food when they previously had no issue with it), large retcons hold the potential to harm continuity and cause issues with the larger story at play (a seemingly nobody character suddenly being related to a main character out of nowhere). That’s not to say that large retcons are always bad, if they make sense and work with the grander story then they should be allowed with the consent of the other roleplayers involved.

What is a Mary Sue?
A Mary Sue is a character who does not develop or change, often seeming like a “perfect” character. Their personality and character are stagnant, unchanging, and are unable to be challenged. If something terrible happens to a character, they should become distraught. If the same thing happens to a Mary Sue, they would not change. These are very dangerous characters to have in a roleplaying environment as roleplaying is very fluid whereas Mary Sue characters are not. I know the common conception of a Mary Sue character is that they are a character who has no flaws, but I feel like the inability for character development is the biggest issue with Mary Sue characters and needs to be brought up more (negative character development exists too after all). Another example of my description of a Mary Sue would be a dark loner character who never changes from their edgy persona.

What is the difference between in-character (IC) and out-of-character (OOC)?
When a player is IC or is saying something IC, this means that they are playing the role of their character that they have created. Their behaviours should match with their character and they should be unaware of the happenings of what happens OOC. When a player is OOC, this means that their actions do not affect the roleplay directly. Players who are OOC should be able to work together to find solutions to some IC situations, but events that happen OOC shouldn’t always affect the people IC, only sometimes. A big difference between IC and OOC is that while IC is unaware of OOC events, OOC is aware of the IC events.

Do you have previous experience playing on a RP server? (This won’t affect your acceptance)
I have roleplayed with two of my friends on a discord server for a very long time and have participated in a small number of Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. While I am not the most experienced with fully live roleplay, I am hoping that I can gain enough experience to do it naturally.

-General Character Questions-
[There is a one full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) minimum for the appearance, biography, and personality. This is for each of these parts and not put together. Your first character must come from a region that isn't Toro.]
Full name: Kestrel Oswald
Age: 28 Years old. (Undecided if this should be his final age, but I want it to be around that age range)
Appearance:
Kestrel is decently tall, around 6’2”. He has an average build, but leans more towards the skinny side. His light brown hair is wavy and is medium in length, ending midway down the neck. He has a round facial shape and has a slight tan-coloured blush on the bridge of his nose. He has light blue eyes with thick eyebrows sitting above them. He is clean shaven, but will slowly grow a beard if he is unable to shave. He wears a black vest with a white dress shirt which he rolls up the sleeves past his elbows. Both are tucked into a pair of dark gray, loose-fitting dress pants held up by a dark brown belt with a silver buckle. He wears black dress shoes and a vibrant purple tie which is tucked into his vest. Despite his profession calling for more formal attire, he prefers to keep it as casual as he can to help his clients feel more comfortable. Though it is not immediately obvious, his vest has a pocket on the right side which contains a pocket watch. The outside of his right arm has a scar running down from the elbow to the base of his wrist. It is clear that he is not sensitive about this injury due to him not trying to hide it.

Personality:
Kestrel is a calm and collected individual. He is not very outgoing, nor is he very hostile, but he is not opposed to being brought into social situations either. He is soft and well spoken, preferring to listen to others rather than leading a conversation. He loves learning new things and often spends his free time reading, with his Pokemon, or taking brief walks. While he knows a lot about Pokemon battling and is fairly decent at it, he isn’t very interested in becoming a full time trainer. He understands that it’s healthy for Pokemon and it allows them to grow, but he has always been more interested in watching from the sidelines and analyzing rather than actually participating in battle. He will occasionally seek to battle others, but it is not very common for him to do so. When he does participate in battle, he becomes a bit more talkative, but more in an analytical way, quietly thinking out loud; he behaves similarly when it comes to catching Pokemon. Kestrel is a trained therapist, helping others through any issues they may have about their thoughts and/or emotions, whatever they may be. Due to this profession, he has a habit of asking rather personal questions when outside of work. If told off, he quickly backs off the questioning and apologizes for his behaviour. He has his own mental issues that he has been working through for much of his life. Through much hard work and training, he has learned how to keep these issues at bay with relative ease. Due to these issues, Kestrel has an affinity to psychic type Pokemon and has for most of his life. To protect himself and possibly others from these issues, he has placed certain hypnotic triggers into himself that activate during emergency situations concerning his mind.

Biography:
Born in the Kalos region, Kestrel grew up in Anistar city. He spent a lot of time at the psychic type gym and was mystified by the spectacle of it as any young boy would be. From that point, he wanted to become a Pokemon trainer so he went to Lumiose City to meet with the current professor there to get his very first Pokemon. After talking with them for a bit, Kestrel became infatuated with their work. He loved how passionate they were about learning more from Pokemon so he changed his goal from becoming a trainer to becoming a professor. Kestrel began working under the professor until out of the blue, he began having strange episodes where he would black out for a time and wake up somewhere else with a headache. He ignored it at first, but after waking up with a severe injury going down his right arm, the professor confronted Kestrel and told him that he needed to take a break and figure out what's going on with these blackouts, lest he hurt himself even more. The first place that Kestrel thought to go was back to Anistar city to speak with the gym leader there. They told Kestrel that it may be an issue with spending so much time in a gym with so many psychic type attacks being used and that those moves possibly effected his younger mind. They told Kestrel that there are experienced psychics across the world that could potentially help him, so he decided to travel the world to meet and train with these psychics. Before Kestrel left the Kalos region, the professor gave him a freshly laid Pokemon egg to take with him as a companion. He then travelled around the world to Unova, Kanto, and finally Sinnoh, meeting with the different psychics and training his mind to deal with the increasingly frequent blackouts. By the time he had finally trained enough to deal with the blackouts, he had no idea what to do with his life from that point onwards. Still having an interest in becoming a professor, he went to the Canalave Library to learn more about Pokemon. After a few hours of research, he discovered that he was very fascinated by the intricacies of Pokemon battling. It explained why he was so bewildered watching battles as a kid and why he was so inspired by the Pokemon professor. He travelled through Sinnoh to the trainer’s school in Jubilife city and learned about battling there. Eventually, Kestrel grew up and got a job as an adjudicator for the Sinnoh Pokemon League, analyzing battles and calling on foul play when it happened. He was convinced by his coworker to borrow his Pokemon and try out battling a few times to see if he’d be any good at it. During one of these battles, Kestrel started contemplating practical uses for the move that the Pokemon were using. After that day, Kestrel began researching different Pokemon moves to see if there was a way they could be applied outside of battle. Because of his history, he was once again drawn to psychic types and how they were able to affect the minds of others. His studies naturally pushed him into learning about human and Pokemon psychology alike. He studied and worked until he got his certifications. Taking from his own experiences, he decided that he would become a therapist to help others who may have problems similar to what he had to deal with. After about a year of working in Sinnoh, he decided that this was the profession he wanted to stick with and decided he would try to find a place to live for the rest of his life. He enjoyed travelling and if he was to settle down, it would be after travelling one last time. He chose to travel to the Toro region, hoping to find a place to settle down and begin working.

Flaws:
If Kestrel becomes too stressed, his training may not be enough to stop him from blacking out again. Of course, the amount of stress he would have to be put through would have to be immense. He doesn’t know what happens when he blacks out and despite his best efforts to find out from others, nobody else seems to know either; they seem a bit forgetful during these periods and don’t realize that anything strange has happened. He sometimes forgets that not everyone is his patient, so he doesn’t realize that sometimes the questions he asks others are too personal for the social situation.

Ambitions:
Kestrel ultimately wishes to live a quiet and stress-free life with his Pokemon while also helping others in the process. He has been interested in collecting more psychic type Pokemon to research and work with so he hopes to try his hand in that as well.

Starter Pixelmon: [ Any naturally level 5 Pokemon! No Legendaries/Mythicals ]
Within the first month of Kestrel arriving in Sinnoh, the egg that he was given hatched into a female Fennekin which he named Ceri. Ceri has not seen much battle, but is just as curious and interested in learning as her master. This baby was born knowing the move hypnosis which helped push Kestrel down the path he is on today.
(I’m not sure if these types of requests are allowed, I just thought a Pokemon with hypnosis would fit Kestrel well and Fennekin only learns hypnosis through egg moves. If this isn’t allowed, then I’m fine with a Fennekin without hypnosis.)

Skin: (Please include a screenshot of the front and back or the skin itself.)
https://minecraftskinstealer.com/profile/NRGuy
(I have the PNG file of my skin saved to my computer if you need it. The site only shows the 3D model and head for some reason so if you need me to send something else, then please let me know.)

-Open Response Questions-
-Write in third person!-
[Respond to at least 2 of the 3 scenarios. There is a one full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) minimum for each of the scenarios you choose, and responses must be written in third person and formatted like RP instead of a description. Like: ' Steve focuses on the girl with a gasp and asks, " How can I help? " ' other than ' Steve would answer the call to help the cat! Feel free to make responses for the NPC in order to meet this requirement.]

You find yourself standing in a bustling town. Suddenly, a small girl runs up to you, her eyes seeming to glisten with fresh tears as her bottom lip quivers. “Please!” She cries out to you, “You must help me! My poor Meowth is stuck in a tree!” She points to a nearby tree as more tears spill out of her eyes and down her cheeks. How does your character respond?

With a comforting smile, Kestrel kneels down to the girl. He softly tells her, “Do not worry… I will help you get your Meowth down from the tree...” He stands up, walking over to the tree. He looks up at the Meowth stuck on one of the branches and pulls out his round pocket watch. He begins rotating it in a way that makes it seem more shiny than it is, trying to catch the Meowth’s attention. “You see my dear… Meowth have a very difficult time resisting small… shiny… and round objects… all you have to do is bring one out… get their attention... and they will find a way to come to you…” Kestrel then watches the Meowth carefully to see what it does next.

You are walking along the road when your eyes lock onto a trainer's in the distance. At that moment, you both freeze in place. You see a glimmer in the trainer's eyes as he reaches for his Pixelball. "Go, Rattata! Show this chump what we've been training for!" the trainer shouts as he swiftly releases his chosen partner in the vacant space that separates the two of you. How does your character respond?

With a sigh, Kestrel closes his eyes and shakes his head. “I do not suppose that there will be any dissuading you from doing this…” He looks up and pulls out his Pokeball. He tosses it out in front of him with Ceri appearing in front of him. Ceri looks around confused and looks back at Kestrel. He returns the gaze with an apologetic expression, “My apologies Ceri… I know I told you that we would be starting your training at a later date… but it appears that we do not have a choice in this matter…” Ceri nods in understanding and turns back to the Rattata, getting into a battle stance. With a determined expression, Kestrel centers his vision on the opponents. “Very well… if you truly wish to battle… then be prepared for whatever outcome lies ahead of you…” He then prepares for the trainer to make his first move.

(After reading the accepted entries, I realize now that I wrote a lot more than needed lol. I hope this is not an issue, I sometimes have a hard time explaining my thoughts in a concise manner)
Skolarr
MC name: Skolarr

Re: NRGuy's Whitelist Application

A C C E P T E D
C
C
E
P
T
E
D E T P E C C A
Image Keep on Necrodancin'!Image